Have you ever noticed a bright, white smile and wished yours was, too? Yes, over the years, stains build up within tooth enamel and change how you look and feel about yourself. Take heart, though; Dr. Ashley Lloyd offers safe and effective professional teeth whitening in her Raleigh, NC, dental practice. This cosmetic service could be just what you need.
The biology of stains
How can something as hard as tooth enamel become discolored? Tooth enamel really is a network of calcified fibers which easily catches and holds onto a wide range of organic materials such as:
- Dark foods such as blueberries and soy sauce
- Dark beverages such as coffee, tea, cola, sport drinks and wine
- Acidic foods (which soften enamel)
Also, when tooth enamel is not maintained (poor at-home oral hygiene and infrequent in-office visits), stains accumulate. While over the counter strips, toothpastes and other products may brighten teeth somewhat, stubborn stains need professional help.
Professional teeth whitening
Most healthy adult smiles could brighten if patients elect professional whitening services from a skilled dentist such as Dr. Lloyd. Available in at-home or in-office versions, whitening treatments use highly concentrated hydrogen or carbamide peroxide to release stains from tooth enamel.
Because Dr. Lloyd makes sure your smile is free from decay and other conditions before clearing you for whitening, you know your teeth and gums are safe from painful sensitivity. Also, you know your whitening gel is correctly applied--whether in the dental chair or at home using trays custom-fit to your upper and lower teeth. Whichever method you use, you'll see teeth which are noticeably brighter--up to eight shades of color!
Making it last
The exact duration changes with how diligent you, the patient, are about maintenance. Here's how to keep that renewed smile bright and shiny:
- Floss daily and brush twice a day as the American Dental Association recommends.
- See Dr. Lloyd twice a year for your usual preventive check-ups and cleanings.
- Avoid tobacco.
- Watch what you eat and drink. Restrict the amounts of coffee, blueberries, curry and other dark dietary choices you consume.
- Drink a lot of water--several glasses a day--because good hydration washes tooth surfaces and stimulates saliva production.
- Get periodic whitening touch-ups as you and your dentist see fit.
What a great smile!
You'll feel as rejuvenated as you look when your smile is whitened by Dr. Ashley Lloyd and her team. For a cosmetic dentistry consultation to talk about professional whitening, contact the office for an appointment: (919) 828-1001.